|| Duration: 20 days
Expedition to one of the most savage and warlike tribes of the Amazon, the Shuar, "Headhunters"
- Departure from the Amazon Explorer office.
- Private motorboat from Iquitos, up the Marañon River.
- Entrance permit to the Pacaya Samiria Reserve.
- Observation of wildlife.
- Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffresis) .
- Visit the Quechuas and Candoshis indigenous Communities.
- Boat up the Pastaza River to enter the mysterious Shuar territory (800 km).
- At this stage, nights will be spent at riverbank villages, in the jungle and tribal communities.
- Arrive to a Shuar Community.
- Learn about their customs and way of life.
- Collect food from their "Chacras" plantations.
- Learn about their weapons for hunting, blowguns and the preparing of the deadly "Curare" .
- Excursions by canoe.
- Chats about the ancient custom of human head reduction "Tsansa" .
- Ceremony with a Shuar shaman (optional) .
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical house in the community.
- Hike in primary rainforest with an indigenous Shuar.
During these days we will do the following activities:
- Short and long hikes.
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Drinking water from forest vines "Soga de agua".
- Learn how to construct traps for catching animals the native way.
- Construction of shelters.
- Observation of fauna.
- Construction of floating devices.
- Travel to remote lakes.
- Bird watching.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Nocturnal exploration in search of alligators, snakes, tarantulas and other species.
- Learn how the Shuar hunt with blowguns.
- Overnight in the jungle.
- Return to the Shuar Community.
- Buying or bartering of handicrafts and authentic weapons of this indigenous tribe (optional) .
- Excursion in a canoe.
- Exploration hike.
- Relax in hammocks.
- Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
- Private motorboat to Iquitos.
- Along the way visiting native villages on the riverbanks.
- At this stage, nights will be spent at riverbank villages and in tribal communities.
- Transfer to the Amazon Explorer office.
Services include: Transfer from Iquitos airport, all land and river transportation, private boat, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, indigenous Shuar guides.
Materials: Mosquito nets, sheets, mattresses, hammocks and rubber boots.
Amazon Explorer provides financial support for the tribal communities.
The trip is open to highly motivated, interested people who have the attributes of adaptability , versatility and are in good condition both physically and mentally .
Remote Jungle option We also offer a 25 day expedition which travels deep into the jungle to visit communities within the territory of Shuar .