|| Duration: 15 days
Territory of the mysterious tribe of the Feline, "The Matses" is considered one of the most remote areas of the Amazon rainforest. Little exploration has been done and is inaccessible for most tourists.
- Departure from the Amazon Explorer office.
- Flight with a light aircraft or hydroplane.
- One hour flight from the Air Force Base to the town of Angamos located on the Brazilian border.
- Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest, the "Matses Reserve".
- Observe the flora and fauna of this region.
- Arrival to the Community of the feline tribe "The Matses".
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
- Live in a tribal community beyond civilization.
- Learning their customs and way of life.
During this time we will be doing the following activities:
- Harvesting food from their "Chacras" plantations.
- Hike to a "Colpas" (deposit of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals gather).
- Assemble "Barbacoa" (construct observatory platform in trees).
- Construction of individual and group shelters.
- Identification of animal tracks and footprints.
- Search of Jaguar (Panthera onca) trail.
- Learning how the Matses hunt.
- Learn how to use their weapons for hunting.
- Learn to construct traps to catch animals in the native way.
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Searching for the giant tree, largest of the jungle "Lupuna" .
- Drinking water from forest vines "Soga de agua" .
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Learn how to fish with "Barbasco" (toxic plant).
- Nocturnal exploration on in search of alligators, snakes, tarantulas and other species.
- Construction of raft or floating devices.
- Tobacco sniffing or "Nu-nu" ceremony (optional) .
- Frog or "Sapo" ceremony (optional) .
- Canoe trip in search of wildlife.
- Buying or bartering for handicrafts and authentic weapons of this indigenous tribe (optional) .
- Ancient stories of senior Matses.
- Overnight in a typical house in tribal communities and in the jungle.
- Motorboat to the Lobo River.
- Bird watching.
- Hike through primary jungle to the town of Requena (50 km).
- Crossing of rivers and streams.
- Overnight in the jungle.
- Arrive by foot to the town of Requena.
- Public boat "Lancha" to Iquitos.
- Transfer to the Amazon Explorer office.
Services include: Transfer from Iquitos airport, all land and river transportation, plane ticket from Iquitos toAngamos, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, indigenous Matses guides.
Materials: Mosquito nets, sheets, hammocks and rubber boots.
Amazon Explorer provides financial support for the tribal communities.
The trip is open to highly motivated, interested people who have the attributes of adaptability , versatility and are in good condition both physically and mentally .
Remote Jungle option: 20 day expedition which travels deep into the jungle to visit inland communities within the territory of Matses.
Return Trekking option: 20 day expedition including a 100 km return trek though virgin forest, to reach the village of Jenaro Herrera.