|Level: Medium +
|| Duration: 10 days
The Urarina tribe belongs to the family of Shimacos, this is a semi-nomadic group from the Amazon living for over 500 years in the Urituyacu and Chambira river basins located north of Rio Marañon in Peru.
- 7 am departure from the Amazon Explorer office by motocarro.
- Car from Iquitos to Nauta (1:30 hrs). Breakfast served.
- Private motorboat, upriver on the Amazon (250 km).
- Visit to various river communities.
- Arrival to a village located on the Chambira riverbank.
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
- Boat to the indigenous Community of the Urarinas.
- Co-existence with them and learn about their customs, culture and lifestyle.
- Collect food from their "C hacras" plantations.
- Overnight in a typical house in the community.
- Hike into the jungle with an indigenous Urarinas guides.
During this time we will do the following activities:
- Short and medium hikes.
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Drinking water from forest vines "Soga de agua" .
- Bird watching.
- Learn to construct traps for catching animals in the native way.
- Construction of shelters.
- Nocturnal explorations in search of snakes, tarantulas and other species.
- Construction of personal flotation devices and drifting downstream.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri).
- Overnight in the jungle.
- Return to Community of the Urarina's.
- Buying or bartering of handicrafts and authentic weapons with this indigenous tribe (optional) .
- Ayahuasca ceremony with an Urarina shaman (optional) .
- Excursion to remote lakes in search of wildlife.
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Exploration by canoe at night searching for alligators.
- Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
- Return by motorboat to Nauta.
- Car from Nauta to Iquitos.
- Transfer to the Amazon Explorer office.
Services include: Transfer from Iquitos airport, all land and river transportation, private boat , all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, indigenous Urarinas guides.
Materials: Mosquito nets, sheets, mattresses, hammocks and rubber boots.
Amazon Explorer provides financial support for the tribal communities.